Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Contemporary Metal Clay Rings


Nothing Left to Chance

Reviewing books on this blog site has given me a wonderful opportunity to receive, review, and almost always “rave.”

In my English 101 class many years ago, the instructor was emphatic.  The mantra was that when writing an essay “tell your audience what you are going to say, say it, and then tell them what you said.”  I hope you will agree that I learned my lesson well.

The book “Contemporary Metal Clay” by Hattie Sanderson captured
my attention with its wonderful metal clay ring on the cover.  The well documented pages fully explain the use of tools and techniques, materials, shaping, firing, finishing, etc., and how to add those extra appendages which elicits all those oh’s and ah’s when viewed.

Sections in the book concentrate on ring shank types, and many other aspects of creating with metal clay.  These include making holes, components, forming, sizing, patinas, etc.

The 72 featured rings display intriguing designs enhanced with various stones of all shapes and sizes.  Who said it couldn’t be done?

As I said in the beginning “nothing is left to chance.”  The artists who have contributed to this book have demonstrated to metal clay aficionados the wonderful versatility of this material. And, Hattie Sanderson and Brynmorgen Press are the ones to applaud.  




17 comments:

  1. This bbok is on the top of my list to get! I am taking an online class of Hattie's, and am really looking forward to learning her methods for making rings. Thanks for the great review....it makes me excited about getting my own copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...sorry about the typo above! And my email addy for the contest is:
    Sylvia@SylviaAnderson.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! The cover caught my eye as well.

    My email address is sandsflash@yahoo.com.

    Hope to win and keep on bringing those reviews!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ... this sounds like agreat book!

    knotthome11@sbcglobal.net

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh.....another great Metal Clay Book, can't what to get this, to add to all the others that I have.......

    LINDA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anxious to get my hands on this book. Saving my pennies (and nickels and dimes for it)!
    Kath'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review~ My email is ryc202@gmail.com

    Thanks! Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. So thrilled this is finally out! So exciting to hear what is hiding inside!! Brynmorgen has so many wonderful texts, I'm not surprised this is another! Wish I had submitted a ring...can't wait to see who got in!

    Michelle
    Mfglaeser@yahoo.com
    Rosegoldclay.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is on the very top of my must have books list :) thank u fir this opportunity to win it... My mail id is jvaala@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is on the very top of my must have books list :) thank u fir this opportunity to win it... My mail id is jvaala@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been waiting to see what this book is all about..I can't wait to get one!
    kimjakum@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to owning my own copy.
    an_ephemerist@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book is very much anticipated! Cannot wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. janelle@fairpoint.net

    ReplyDelete